Last updated on September 2, 2016
District of Columbia absentee ballot deadlines
- Absentee ballot application deadlines: Received by the Tuesday before Election Day
- Voted ballots are due: Postmarked by Election Day and received within 10 days of Election Day.
District of Columbia absentee ballot rules
Any registered DC voter may apply for an absentee ballot and vote by mail.
District of Columbia absentee ballot directions
- Use our Absentee Ballot Tool to prepare your application.
- Sign and date the form. This is very important!
- Return your completed application to your Local Election Official as soon as possible. We’ll provide the mailing address for you.
- All Local Election Officials will accept mailed or hand-delivered forms. If it’s close to the deadline, call and see if your Local Election Official will let you fax or email the application.
- Make sure your application is received by the deadline. Your application must actually arrive by this time — simply being postmarked by the deadline is insufficient.
- Please contact your Local Election Official if you have any further questions about the exact process.
Once you receive your ballot...
- Once you receive the ballot, carefully read and follow the instructions.
- Sign and date where indicated.
- Mail your voted ballot back to the address indicated on the return envelope.
- Your voted ballot must arrive by the deadline or it will not be counted.
Helpful voting links