Last updated on September 2, 2016
California voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 15 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: 15 days before Election Day.
- Online: 15 days before Election Day.
Election day registration instructions
California voter registration rules
To register in California you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of California
- be at least 18 years of age at the time of the next election
- not be imprisoned or on parole for the conviction of a felony
- not currently be judged mentally incompetent by a court of law
California voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.
Helpful voting links