- The following Special Elections will use vote-by-mail procedures following an executive order
- State Senate District 28, Riverside County on May 12
- US House of Representatives for Congressional District 25 on May 12
- For the November 3 General Election, every registered voter will receive a ballot in the mail by executive order
- News Releases, Office of Public Affairs, California Department of Public Health
California voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 15 days before Election Day. You can also conditionally register to vote in person through Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 15 days before Election Day.
- Online: 15 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
If the voter registration deadline has passed, you can still conditionally register to vote and cast a provisional ballot in person at your County Elections Office at any time up to and including Election Day. Your provisional ballot will be counted when your County Elections Official verifies your voter registration.
Conditional registration may also be available in County Elections satellite offices and vote centers.
California voter registration rulesTo register in California you must:
- be a citizen of the United States;
- be a resident of California;
- be at least 18 years of age at the time of the next election;
- not be imprisoned or on parole for the conviction of a felony; and
- not currently be judged mentally incompetent by a court of law.
California voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.