Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Iowa, Iowa Department of Public Health
Iowa voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 15 days before Election Day. You can also register to vote in-person during early vote or on Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 15 days before Election Day.
- Online: 15 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
You can register to vote and a cast a ballot at the same time during early voting or on Election Day. Simply go to your regular polling place or early voting site to register and vote. You should bring valid photo ID and, if the ID does not list your current address, also proof of residence. Contact your Local Election Office if you have any questions.
Iowa voter registration rules
To register in Iowa you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be a resident of Iowa;
- Be at least 17 years old (you can vote in the primary election if you will be 18 by the general);
- Not have been convicted of a felony (or have had your rights restored);
- Not currently be judged by a court to be "incompetent to vote;"
- Not claim the right to vote in more than one place.
Iowa voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.