If you are registering for the first time, you should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes: (1) A current and valid photo identification or (2) A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address.
Maryland voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 21 days before Election Day. You may also register during early voting or on Election Day with proof of address. See Election Day registration instructions.
- By Mail: Postmarked 21 days before Election Day.
- Online: 21 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
You can register to vote in-person during early voting and on Election Day. You will need to bring your MVA-issued license, ID card, or change of address card, or a paycheck, bank statement, utility bill, or other government document that has your name and current address.
Maryland voter registration rulesTo register in Maryland you must:
- be a U.S. citizen
- be a Maryland resident
- be at least 18 years old by the next general election
- not be under guardianship for mental disability
- not have been convicted of buying or selling votes
- not have been convicted of a felony, or if you have, have completed serving a court ordered sentence of imprisonment
Maryland voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.