If you are registering for the first time, you should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes: (1) A current and valid photo identification or (2) A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Massachusetts, Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Massachusetts voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 10 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 10 days before Election Day.
- Online: 10 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
Massachusetts voter registration rules
To register in Massachusetts you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be a resident of Massachusetts;
- Be at least 16 years old (but will not be eligible to vote until you are 18 years old);
- Not have been convicted of corrupt practices in respect to elections;
- Not be under guardianship with respect to voting;
- Not be currently incarcerated for a felony conviction.
Massachusetts voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.