If you are registering for the first time, you should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes: (1) A current and valid photo identification or (2) A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Mississippi, Mississippi State Department of Health
Mississippi voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 30 days before Election Day. If the 30th day falls on a Sunday or legal holiday, then the in-person deadline is extended to the next regular business day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 30 days before Election Day. If the 30th day falls on a Sunday or legal holiday, then the postmark deadline is extended to the next regular business day.
- Online: N/A
Election Day Registration:
Mississippi voter registration rules
To register in Mississippi you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Have lived in Mississippi and in your county (and city, if applicable) 30 days before Election Day;
- Be 18 years old by the time of the general election in which you want to vote;
- Have not been convicted of voter fraud, murder, rape, bribery, theft, arson, obtaining money or goods under false pretense, perjury, forgery, embezzlement, bigamy, armed robbery, extortion, felony bad check, felony shoplifting, larceny, receiving stolen property, robbery, timber larceny, unlawful taking of a motor vehicle, statutory rape, carjacking, or larceny under lease or rental agreement (or, if you have been convicted, you must have had your rights restored);
- Not have been declared mentally incompetent by a court.
Mississippi voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.