When registering to vote in Montana, you must provide your Montana driver's license number, state ID card number, or the last four digits of your social security number. If you do not have any of those, you must present a (1) military ID card, a tribal photo ID card, a United States passport, or a Montana concealed carry permit; or (2) any other form of photo ID containing your name, combined with a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, government check, or other government document that shows your name and current address.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Montana, Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services
Montana voter registration deadlines
- In Person: Noon, the day before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 30 days before Election Day and received 27 days before Election Day.
- Online: N/A
Election Day Registration:
You may register and vote in the Nov. 8 election by late registration at your county election office or designated location.
Montana voter registration rules
To register in Montana you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be at least 18 years old on or before Election Day;
- Be a resident of Montana and of the county in which you want to vote for at least 30 days before the next election;
- Not be in a penal institution for a felony conviction;
- Not currently be determined by a court to be of unsound mind;
- Meet these qualifications by the next Election Day if you do not currently meet them.
Montana voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.