When registering to vote in Montana, you must provide your Montana driver's license number or the last four digits of your social security number. If you do not have either of those, you must present a current valid photo ID or a current utility bill, bank statement, paycheck, government check, or other government document that shows your name and current address.
- Due to the Governor’s Directive, the deadline for regular registration for the 2020 Federal General Election on November 3, 2020, has been moved to October 26, 2020. If you miss that deadline, you can still register and vote in the election by late registering at your county election office or designated location.
- Governor’s Coronavirus Task Force, Montana.gov
Montana voter registration deadlines
- In Person: Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 8 days before Election Day and received 5 days before Election Day.
- Online: N/A
Election Day Registration:
Montana voter registration rulesTo register in Montana you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be at least 18 years old on or before Election Day
- be a resident of Montana and of the county in which you want to vote for at least 30 days before the next election
- not be in a penal institution for a felony conviction
- not currently be determined by a court to be of unsound mind
- meet these qualifications by the next Election Day if you do not currently meet them
Montana voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.