If you are registering for the first time, registered by mail, and didn’t include your driver’s license or NY state ID number or the last 4 digits of your Social Security number on your registration, you you may be asked to provide ID when you vote. See the section on Voter ID Requirements for a complete list of acceptable forms of ID to bring to the polls.
New York voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 25 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 25 days before Election Day. Received 20 days before Election Day.
- Online: 25 days before Election Day
Election Day Registration:
New York voter registration rulesTo register in New York you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of New York and the county, city, or village for at least 30 days before Election Day
- 16- and 17-year-olds may preregister to vote, but cannot vote until they are 18
- not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction (unless parolee pardoned or restored rights of citizenship)
- not currently be judged incompetent by a court
- not claim the right to vote elsewhere
New York voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.