You should plan on showing photo ID when you vote. See the Section on Voter ID Requirements for a complete list of acceptable forms of ID to bring to the polls.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in South Dakota, South Dakota Department of Health
South Dakota voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 15 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Received 15 days before Election Day.
- Online: N/A
Election Day Registration:
South Dakota voter registration rules
To register in South Dakota you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Reside in South Dakota;
- Be 18 years old by the next election;
- Not be currently serving a sentence for a felony conviction which included imprisonment, served or suspended, in an adult penitentiary system;
- Not have been judged mentally incompetent by a court.
South Dakota voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.