If you are registering for the first time and plan to vote in person, you should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes: (1) A current and valid photo identification or (2) A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Washington, Washington Department of Social and Health Services
Washington voter registration deadlines
- In Person: Election Day.
- By Mail: Received 8 days before Election Day.
- Online: Received 8 days before Election Day
Election Day Registration:
Individuals may register to vote in their county auditor's office, the division of elections if in a separate city from the county auditor's office, a voting center, or other location designated by the county auditor in his or her county of residence no later than 8:00pm on the day of the primary, special election, or general election. The registration process and requirements for registering on Election Day are the same as for filling out a paper registration form or the online form.
Washington voter registration rules
To register in Washington you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be at least 18 years old by Election Day;
- Be a legal resident of Washington State, your county, and precinct for 30 days immediately preceding Election Day;
- Not be disqualified from voting due to a court order; and
- Not be under Department of Corrections supervision for a Washington felony conviction.
Washington voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.