Last updated on March 17, 2020
You need to include a copy of your ID with this form. Check our Voter ID Laws page for a list of acceptable forms of ID
No absentee ballot application may be mailed in the same envelope as another voter's absentee ballot application.
Alabama absentee ballot deadlines
- In Person: 5 days before Election Day
- By Mail: 5 days before Election Day
- Voted ballots are due: Postmarked 1 day before Election Day, received by noon on Election Day
Alabama absentee ballot rulesYou may vote by absentee ballot in Alabama if:
- you will be absent from the county on Election Day
- you are ill or have a physical disability that prevents a trip to the polling place
- you are a registered Alabama voter who is temporarily living outside the county (such as a member of the armed forces, a voter employed outside of the United States, a college student, or a spouse or child of such a person)
- you are an appointed election officer or poll watcher at a polling place other than your regular polling place
- you work a required shift - 10 hours or more - that coincides with polling hours
Alabama absentee ballot directions
- Use our Absentee Ballot Tool to prepare your application.
- Sign and date the form. This is very important!
- Return your completed application to your Local Election Office as soon as possible. We'll provide the mailing address for you.
- All Local Election Offices will accept mailed or hand-delivered forms. If it's close to the deadline, call and see if your Local Election Office will let you fax or email the application.
- Make sure your application is received by the deadline. Your application must actually arrive by this time -- simply being postmarked by the deadline is insufficient.
- Please contact your Local Election Office if you have any further questions about the exact process.
Once you receive your ballot...
- Once you receive the ballot, carefully read and follow the instructions.
- Provide a copy of an acceptable form of photo ID with your voted ballot. (You must provide a copy of one of the forms of ID listed when you mail back your voted absentee ballot.)
- Sign and date where indicated.
- Mail your voted ballot back to the address indicated on the return envelope.
- Your voted ballot must arrive by the deadline or it will not be counted.