Last updated on November 4, 2016
Alabama absentee ballot deadlines
- Absentee ballot application deadlines: Received 5 days before Election Day.
- Voted ballots are due: Postmarked by the day before Election Day (by mail).
Received by 5:00 p.m. on the day before Election Day (in person).
Alabama absentee ballot rules
You may vote by absentee ballot in Alabama if:
- you will be absent from the county on Election Day
- you are ill or have a physical disability that prevents a trip to the polling place
- you are a registered Alabama voter who is temporarily living outside the county (such as a member of the armed forces, a voter employed outside of the United States, a college student, or a spouse or child of such a person)
- you are an appointed election officer or poll watcher at a polling place other than your regular polling place
- you work a required shift – 10 hours or more – that coincides with polling hours
Alabama absentee ballot directions
- Use our Absentee Ballot Tool to prepare your application.
- Sign and date the form. This is very important!
- Return your completed application to your Local Election Office as soon as possible. We’ll provide the mailing address for you.
- All Local Election Offices will accept mailed or hand-delivered forms. If it’s close to the deadline, call and see if your Local Election Office will let you fax or email the application.
- Make sure your application is received by the deadline. Your application must actually arrive by this time — simply being postmarked by the deadline is insufficient.
- Please contact your Local Election Office if you have any further questions about the exact process.
Once you receive your ballot...
- Once you receive the ballot, carefully read and follow the instructions.
- Provide a copy of an acceptable form of photo ID with your voted ballot. (You must provide a copy of one of the forms of ID listed when you mail back your voted absentee ballot.)
- Sign and date where indicated.
- Mail your voted ballot back to the address indicated on the return envelope.
- Your voted ballot must arrive by the deadline or it will not be counted.