Last updated on September 2, 2016
Hawaii absentee ballot deadlines
- Absentee ballot application deadlines: Received by 4:30 p.m. on the Tuesday before Election Day
- Voted ballots are due: Received by the close of polls on Election Day
Hawaii absentee ballot rules
Any registered Hawaii voter may apply for an absentee ballot and vote by mail.
Hawaii absentee ballot directions
- Use our Absentee Ballot Tool to prepare your application.
- Sign and date the form. This is very important!
- Return your completed application to your Local Election Office as soon as possible. We’ll provide the mailing address for you.
- All Local Election Offices will accept mailed or hand-delivered forms. If it’s close to the deadline, call and see if your Local Election Office will let you fax or email the application.
- Make sure your application is received by the deadline. Your application must actually arrive by this time — simply being postmarked by the deadline is insufficient.
- Please contact your Local Election Office if you have any further questions about the exact process.
Once you receive your ballot...
- Once you receive the ballot, carefully read and follow the instructions.
- Sign and date where indicated.
- Return your voted ballot back to the address indicated on the return envelope.
- Your voted ballot must be received by the close of polls on Election Day or it will not be counted. Ballots that are postmarked but not received by Election Day will not be considered on time.
- Please contact your Local Election Office if you have any questions.