Last updated on September 2, 2016
Iowa absentee ballot deadlines
- Absentee ballot application deadlines: Received by 5:00 p.m. 10 days before Election Day for general elections and 11 days before Election Day for all other elections (by mail).
Received by 5:00 p.m. the day before Election Day (by mail).
- Voted ballots are due: Received by the time the polls close on Election Day or postmarked by the day before Election Day and received by noon on the Monday after Election Day.
Iowa absentee ballot rules
Any registered Iowa voter may apply for an absentee ballot and vote by mail.
Iowa absentee ballot directions
- Use our Absentee Ballot Tool to prepare your application.
- Sign and date the form. This is very important!
- Return your completed application to your Local Election Office as soon as possible. We’ll provide the mailing address for you.
- All Local Election Offices will accept mailed or hand-delivered forms. If it’s close to the deadline, call and see if your Local Election Office will let you fax or email the application.
- Make sure your application is received by the deadline. Your application must actually arrive by this time — simply being postmarked by the deadline is insufficient.
- Please contact your Local Election Office if you have any further questions about the exact process.
Once you receive your ballot...
- Once you receive the ballot, carefully read and follow the instructions.
- Sign and date where indicated.
- Mail your voted ballot back to the address indicated on the return envelope.
- Your voted ballot must arrive by the deadline or it will not be counted.