Last updated on September 2, 2016
Maine absentee ballot deadlines
- Absentee ballot application deadlines: Received 3 business days before Election Day.
You may be able to apply for an absentee ballot after this deadline if you sign an application stating you will be unexpectedly absent from the municipality on Election Day, are physically disabled, are a resident of a coastal island, or have an incapacity or illness that prevents you from leaving your home or treatment facility.
- Voted ballots are due: Received by 8:00 p.m. on Election Day.
Maine absentee ballot rules
Any registered Maine voter may apply for an absentee ballot and vote by mail.
Maine absentee ballot directions
- Use our Absentee Ballot Tool to prepare your application.
- Sign and date the form. This is very important!
- Return your completed application to your Local Election Office as soon as possible. We’ll provide the mailing address for you.
- All Local Election Offices will accept mailed or hand-delivered forms. If it’s close to the deadline, call and see if your Local Election Office will let you fax or email the application.
- Make sure your application is received by the deadline. Your application must actually arrive by this time — simply being postmarked by the deadline is insufficient.
- Please contact your Local Election Office if you have any further questions about the exact process.
Once you receive your ballot...
- Once you receive the ballot, carefully read and follow the instructions.
- Sign and date where indicated.
- Mail your voted ballot back to the address indicated.
- Your voted ballot must arrive by the deadline or it will not be counted.