- COVID-19 Election Updates, Massachusetts Secretary of State
- A recent bill has clarified that voters taking precautions related to COVID-19 are qualified to vote by absentee ballot, March 23, 2020
- Multiple special elections have been postponed: voters should check the Secretary of State's COVID-19 page for details
- Local elections may be postponed by towns: voters should check with their town clerk for details
- Information on the Outbreak of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Massachusetts absentee ballot deadlines
- In Person:
- By Mail: 1 day before Election Day, but we recommend applying at least 7 days before Election Day.
- Voted ballots are due: Election Day.
Massachusetts absentee ballot rulesYou may vote by absentee ballot in Massachusetts if:
- you will be absent from your city or town on Election Day.
- you have a physical disability that prevents you from voting at the polling place.
- you cannot vote at the polls due to religious beliefs
- you are confined in a correctional facility or jail on something OTHER than a felony charge
Massachusetts absentee ballot directions
- Use our Absentee Ballot Tool to prepare your application.
- Sign and date the form. This is very important!
- Return your completed application to your Local Election Office as soon as possible. We'll provide the mailing address for you.
- All Local Election Offices will accept mailed or hand-delivered forms. If it's close to the deadline, call and see if your Local Election Office will let you fax or email the application.
- Make sure your application is received by the deadline. Your application must actually arrive by this time -- simply being postmarked by the deadline is insufficient.
- Please contact your Local Election Office if you have any further questions about the exact process.
Tracking your ballotYou can track your ballot directly with your state.
Once you receive your ballot...
- Once you receive the ballot, carefully read and follow the instructions.
- Sign and date where indicated.
- Mail your voted ballot back to the address indicated on the return envelope.
- Your voted ballot must arrive by the deadline or it will not be counted.