Last updated on March 14, 2016
Mississippi absentee ballot deadlines
- Absentee ballot application deadlines: No specific deadline. We recommend requesting your ballot at least one month before Election Day
- Voted ballots are due: Received by 5:00 p.m. on the day before Election Day
Mississippi absentee ballot rules
You may vote by absentee ballot in Mississippi if:
- you will be away from your county on Election Day for any reason;
- you are a student, teacher or administrator at a school whose studies or employment there necessitates your absence from your county on Election Day; or you are the spouse or dependent thereof;
- you have a temporary or permanent physical disability that renders you unable to vote in person without substantial hardship;
- you are the parent, spouse or dependent of a person with a temporary or permanent physical disability who is hospitalized outside of their county of residence or more than fifty (50) miles away, and you (the parent, spouse or dependent) will be with that person on Election Day;
- you are sixty-five (65) years of age or older;
- you will be unable to vote in person because you are required to be at work on Election Day during the times at which the polls will be open.
Mississippi absentee ballot directions
- Use our Absentee Ballot Tool to prepare your application.
- Sign and date the form. This is very important!
- Return your completed application to your Local Election Official as soon as possible. We’ll provide the mailing address for you.
- All Local Election Officials will accept mailed or hand-delivered forms. If it’s close to the deadline, call and see if your Local Election Official will let you fax or email the application.
- Make sure your application is received by the deadline. Your application must actually arrive by this time — simply being postmarked by the deadline is insufficient.
- Please contact your Local Election Official if you have any further questions about the exact process.
Once you receive your ballot...
- Once you receive the ballot, carefully read and follow the instructions.
- Sign and date where indicated.
- Mail your voted ballot back to the address indicated on the return envelope.
- Your voted ballot must arrive by the deadline or it will not be counted.
Helpful voting links