Last updated on November 1, 2016
Missouri absentee ballot deadlines
- Absentee ballot application deadlines: Received by 5:00 p.m. on the Wednesday before Election Day
- Voted ballots are due: Received by 7:00 PM on Election Day (by mail).
Received by 5:00 PM on the day prior to Election Day (in person)
Missouri absentee ballot rules
You can vote by absentee ballot in Missouri if:
- you will be absent from your voting jurisdiction on Election Day
- you are incapacitated or confined due to illness or physical disability, or caring for an incapacitated person
- you are restricted by religious belief or practice
- you are employed by Election Day authority
- you are incarcerated, but have retained all your voting qualifications
Missouri absentee ballot directions
- Use our Absentee Ballot Tool to prepare your application.
- Sign and date the form. This is very important!
- Return your completed application to your Local Election Office as soon as possible. We’ll provide the mailing address for you.
- All Local Election Offices will accept mailed or hand-delivered forms. If it’s close to the deadline, call and see if your Local Election Office will let you fax or email the application.
- Make sure your application is received by the deadline. Your application must actually arrive by this time — simply being postmarked by the deadline is insufficient.
- Please contact your Local Election Office if you have any further questions about the exact process.
Once you receive your ballot...
- Once you receive the ballot, carefully read and follow the instructions.
- Sign and date where indicated.
- Have a witness or notary sign where indicated.
- Mail your voted ballot back to the address indicated on the return envelope.
- Your voted ballot must arrive by the deadline or it will not be counted.
Helpful voting links