Last updated on November 1, 2016
New Hampshire absentee ballot deadlines
- Absentee ballot application deadlines: No specific deadline. We recommend requesting your ballot at least one month before Election Day
- Voted ballots are due: Received by 5:00 p.m. on Election Day (by mail).
Received by 5:00 p.m. on the day before Election Day (in person)
New Hampshire absentee ballot rules
You may vote by absentee ballot in New Hampshire if:
- you will be absent on the day of any state election from the county, city, or town in which you are registered to vote
- you are unable appear in public on Election Day because of your observance of a religious commitment
- you are unable to vote in person by reason of physical disability
- you are unable to vote in person by reason of military service
- you are unable to appear at any time during polling hours at your polling place because an employment obligation requires you to remain physically at work or to be in transit to or from work from the time the polls open until after the time the polls close
New Hampshire absentee ballot directions
- Use our Absentee Ballot Tool to prepare your application.
- Sign and date the form. This is very important!
- Return your completed application to your Local Election Office as soon as possible. We’ll provide the mailing address for you.
- All Local Election Offices will accept mailed or hand-delivered forms. If it’s close to the deadline, call and see if your Local Election Office will let you fax or email the application.
- Make sure your application is received by the deadline. Your application must actually arrive by this time — simply being postmarked by the deadline is insufficient.
- Please contact your Local Election Office if you have any further questions about the exact process.
Once you receive your ballot...
- Once you receive the ballot, carefully read and follow the instructions.
- Sign and date where indicated.
- Mail your voted ballot back to the address indicated on the return envelope.
- Your voted ballot must arrive by the deadline or it will not be counted.
Helpful voting links