You must put your NC driver's license number or your social security number on this application. If you can't, then you'll need to include a photo copy of your ID.
Check our Voter ID Laws page for a list of acceptable forms of ID. When you get your absentee ballot, you'll need to fill it out in the presence of a notary or two witnesses, who will have to sign the ballot.
North Carolina absentee ballot deadlines
- In Person:
- By Mail: 7 days before Election Day
- Voted ballots are due: Postmarked by Election Day and received by 3 days after Election Day.
North Carolina absentee ballot rulesAny registered North Carolina voter may apply for an absentee ballot and vote by mail.
North Carolina absentee ballot directions
- Use our Absentee Ballot Tool to prepare your application.
- Sign and date the form. This is very important!
- Return your completed application to your Local Election Office as soon as possible. We'll provide the mailing address for you.
- All Local Election Offices will accept mailed or hand-delivered forms. If it's close to the deadline, call and see if your Local Election Office will let you fax or email the application.
- Make sure your application is received by the deadline. Your application must actually arrive by this time -- simply being postmarked by the deadline is insufficient.
- Please contact your Local Election Office if you have any further questions about the exact process.
Tracking your ballotYou can track your ballot directly with your state.
Once you receive your ballot...
- Once you receive the ballot, carefully read and follow the instructions.
- Sign and date where indicated.
- Mark the ballot in the presence of two witnesses (or one witness if the witness is a notary public).
- Seal the ballot and complete the Absentee Application and Certificate on the back of the envelope.
- Have the witness(es) complete and sign the Witnesses' Certification portion of the envelope.
- Mail your voted ballot back to the address indicated on the return envelope. Your voted ballot must arrive by the deadline or it will not be counted.