North Dakota absentee ballot deadlines
- In Person:
- By Mail: No specific deadline. We recommend requesting your ballot at least 7 days before Election Day.
- Voted ballots are due: Postmarked 1 day before Election Day and received 5 days after Election Day.
North Dakota absentee ballot rulesAny North Dakota resident may apply for an absentee ballot and vote by mail.
North Dakota absentee ballot directions
- Use our Absentee Ballot Tool to prepare your application.
- Sign and date the form. This is very important!
- Return your completed application to your Local Election Office as soon as possible. We'll provide the mailing address for you.
- All Local Election Offices will accept mailed or hand-delivered forms. If it's close to the deadline, call and see if your Local Election Office will let you fax or email the application.
- Make sure your application is received by the deadline. Your application must actually arrive by this time -- simply being postmarked by the deadline is insufficient.
- Please contact your Local Election Office if you have any further questions about the exact process.
Tracking your ballotYou can track your ballot directly with your state.
Once you receive your ballot...
- Once you receive the ballot, carefully read and follow the instructions.
- Sign and date where indicated.
- Mail your voted ballot back to the address indicated on the return envelope.
- Your voted ballot must arrive by the deadline or it will not be counted.