You must send a copy your South Dakota photo ID with your absentee ballot application. Check our Voter ID Laws page for a list of acceptable forms of ID. If you can't get a copy of an acceptable form of photo ID, then you must have your absentee ballot application signed and notarized by an authorized witness.
South Dakota absentee ballot deadlines
- In Person: 1 day before Election Day, but we recommend applying at least 7 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: 1 day before Election Day, but we recommend applying at least 7 days before Election Day.
- Online: N/A
- Voted ballots are due: Election Day.
South Dakota absentee ballot rulesAny registered South Dakota voter may apply for an absentee ballot and vote by mail.
South Dakota absentee ballot directions
- Use our Absentee Ballot Tool to prepare your application.
- Sign and date the form. This is very important!
- Return your completed application to your Local Election Office as soon as possible. We'll provide the mailing address for you.
- All Local Election Offices will accept mailed or hand-delivered forms. If it's close to the deadline, call and see if your Local Election Office will let you fax or email the application.
- Make sure your application is received by the deadline. Your application must actually arrive by this time -- simply being postmarked by the deadline is insufficient.
- Please contact your Local Election Office if you have any further questions about the exact process.
Once you receive your ballot...
- Once you receive the ballot, carefully read and follow the instructions.
- Sign and date where indicated.
- Mark the ballot in the presence of two witnesses (or one witness if the witness is a notary public).
- Seal the ballot and complete the Absentee Application and Certificate on the back of the envelope.
- Have the witness(es) complete and sign the Witnesses' Certification portion of the envelope.
- Mail your voted ballot back to the address indicated on the return envelope.
- Your voted ballot must arrive by the deadline or it will not be counted.