Last updated on November 1, 2016
West Virginia absentee ballot deadlines
- Absentee ballot application deadlines: Received by the 6th day before Election Day
- Voted ballots are due: Postmarked by Election Day and received by 5 days after Election Day, excluding Sunday.
West Virginia absentee ballot rules
You may vote by absentee ballot in West Virginia if:
- you will be on personal or business travel during both the early voting period and Election Day;
- you are attending a college, university or other place of education or training;
- you are ill, or have an injury or other medical reason that keeps you confined;
- you are incapacitated due to advanced age or a physical disability;
- you are incarcerated or detained in jail or a home, but m not under conviction of any felony, of treason or of bribery in Election Day (including any period of probation or parole);
- you employment makes voting in person impossible because of the hours worked and distance from the county seat;
- you are a participant in the Address Confidentiality Program (ACP) with the Office of the Secretary of State;
- the county absentee voting office and your polling place are inaccessible to to you due to your physical disability.
West Virginia absentee ballot directions
- Use our Absentee Ballot Tool to prepare your application.
- Sign and date the form. This is very important!
- Return your completed application to your Local Election Official as soon as possible. We’ll provide the mailing address for you.
- All Local Election Officials will accept mailed or hand-delivered forms. If it’s close to the deadline, call and see if your Local Election Official will let you fax or email the application.
- Make sure your application is received by the deadline. Your application must actually arrive by this time — simply being postmarked by the deadline is insufficient.
- Please contact your Local Election Official if you have any further questions about the exact process.
Once you receive your ballot...
- Once you receive the ballot, carefully read and follow the instructions.
- Sign and date where indicated.
- Mail your voted ballot back to the address indicated on the return envelope.
- Your voted ballot must arrive by the deadline or it will not be counted.
Helpful voting links