Last updated on October 23, 2019
West Virginia absentee ballot deadlines
- In Person:
- By Mail: 6 days before Election Day.
- Voted ballots are due: Postmarked by Election Day and received by 6 days after Election Day. (Ballots with no postmark will be counted if received by 1 day after Election Day.)
West Virginia absentee ballot rules
All registered West Virginia voters may vote by absentee ballot in person during the period of early voting.
You may vote by absentee ballot by mail in West Virginia if:
- you will be absent from the county during both the early voting period and Election Day because of personal or business travel or attendance at a college, university or other place of education or training;
- employment that makes voting in person impossible because of the hours worked and distance from the county seat
- you are confined to a specific location and prevented from voting in person due to an illness, injury, other medical reason, physical disability, or advanced age;
- you are incarcerated or detained in jail or a home on Election Day, but not under conviction of any felony, of treason, or of bribery (including any period of probation or parole);
- you are a participant in the Address Confidentiality Program (ACP) with the Office of the Secretary of State;
- the county absentee voting office and your polling place are inaccessible to to you due to your physical disability.
West Virginia absentee ballot directions
- Use our Absentee Ballot Tool to prepare your application.
- Sign and date the form. This is very important!
- Return your completed application to your Local Election Office as soon as possible. We’ll provide the mailing address for you.
- All Local Election Offices will accept mailed or hand-delivered forms. If it’s close to the deadline, call and see if your Local Election Office will let you fax or email the application.
- Make sure your application is received by the deadline. Your application must actually arrive by this time — simply being postmarked by the deadline is insufficient.
- Please contact your Local Election Office if you have any further questions about the exact process.
Once you receive your ballot...
- Once you receive the ballot, carefully read and follow the instructions.
- Sign and date where indicated.
- Mail your voted ballot back to the address indicated on the return envelope.
- Your voted ballot must arrive by the deadline or it will not be counted.