If you are registering for the first time, you should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes: (1) A current and valid photo identification or (2) A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address.
Alabama voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 15 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 15 days before Election Day.
- Online: 15 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
Alabama voter registration rulesTo register to vote in Alabama you must:
- be a citizen of the United States;
- be a resident of Alabama and your county at the time of registration;
- be 18 years old before any election;
- not have been convicted of a felony punishable by imprisonment in the penitentiary (or have had your civil and political rights restored);
- not currently be declared mentally incompetent through a competency hearing;
- swear or affirm to "support and defend the Constitution of the US and the State of Alabama and further disavow any belief or affiliation with any group which advocates the overthrow of the governments of the US or the State of Alabama by unlawful means and that the information contained herein is true, so help me God"; and
- not have been convicted of treason or impeachment. If you have been convicted for murder, rape, sodomy, sexual abuse, sexual torture, enticing a child to enter a vehicle for immoral purposes, soliciting a child by computer, production of obscene matter, parents or guardians permitting children to engage in obscene matter, possession of obscene matter, or possession with intent to distribute child pornography, you must receive a pardon before voting. If you have been convicted of another felony that is listed as a crime of moral turpitude, you must seek a Certificate of Eligibility to Register to Vote. If you have another felony (such as a DUI), you ARE eligible to vote.
Alabama voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.