If you mail in your voter registration form, the state requests (but does not require) that you send a copy of your valid photo identification. You will be required to present valid photo identification when you vote at your polling place or by absentee ballot, unless exempted by law.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Alabama, Alabama Public Health
Alabama voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 15 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 15 days before Election Day.
- Online: 15 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
Alabama voter registration rules
To register to vote in Alabama you must:
- Be a United States Citizen
- Reside in Alabama
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have not been convicted of a disqualifying felony (or have rights restored)
- Have not been legally declared "mentally incompetent" by a court
Alabama voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.