If you are registering for the first time, you should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes: (1) A current and valid photo identification or (2) A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address.
Connecticut voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 7 days before Election Day. If you miss the deadline, you can also register at a designated Election Day Registration location in your town on Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 7 days before Election Day.
- Online: 7 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
If the voter registration deadline has passed, you can still register to vote in person at the office of your Local Election Office on Election Day. Contact your Local Election Office if you have any questions.
Connecticut voter registration rulesTo register in Connecticut you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Connecticut and of the town in which you wish to vote
- be 17 years old. You can vote when you turn 18.
- have completed confinement and parole if previously convicted of a felony
- not currently be declared mentally incompetent to vote by a court of law
Connecticut voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.