If you are registering for the first time, you should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes: (1) A current and valid photo identification or (2) A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or other government document that shows your name and address.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the District of Columbia, Government of the District of Columbia
District of Columbia voter registration deadlines
- In Person: If you submit your application in person at the Board of Elections or another voter registration agency, your application should be received no later than the day before the start of the early voting period. OR If you miss the deadline, Same-Day Registration is available during Early Voting and on Election Day, with proof of residency.
- By Mail: Received 21 days before Election Day.
- Online: 21 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
If you have missed the voter registration deadline, you can still register to vote and a cast a ballot at the same time during early voting or on Election Day. Simply go to your regular polling place or early voting site to register and vote. Contact your Local Election Office if you have any questions. You will need to bring proof of residency, such as a government photo ID, or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, or pay check that shows your current name and address.
District of Columbia voter registration rules
To register in the District of Columbia you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be a District of Columbia resident at least 30 days preceding the next election;
- Be at least 18 years old on or preceding the next general election;
- Not be in prison for a felony conviction;
- Not have been judged legally incompetent by a court of law;
- Not claim the right to vote anywhere outside DC.
District of Columbia voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.