Registered voters must present a valid photo ID at the polls in order to vote. If a voter is not able to show an acceptable ID, they are given the option to sign a Personal Identification Affidavit. See the section on Voter ID for a complete list of valid forms of ID.
You must re-register to vote if you have not voted in any election in the past four years.
If you are refused registration but think you are qualified to register to vote, you may apply to the county clerk for an evidentiary hearing on your qualifications. The hearing must be held within 10 days after you contact the county clerk.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Idaho, Idaho Official Resources for the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
Idaho voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 25 days before Election Day. If you miss this deadline, you may also register during early voting or on Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 25 days before Election Day. If you miss this deadline, you may also register during early voting or on Election Day.
- Online: 25 days before Election Day. If you miss this deadline, you may also register during early voting or on Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
If you have missed the voter registration deadline, you can still register to vote and a cast a ballot at the same time during early voting (if your county conducts early voting) or on Election Day. Simply go to your regular polling place or early voting site to register and vote. You will need to show proof of residence and a photo ID. Contact your Local Election Office if you have any questions.
Idaho voter registration rules
To register in Idaho you must:
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Have resided in Idaho and in the county for 30 days prior to the date of election;
- Not be serving a sentence of imprisonment for a felony. Your voting rights are restored once you have completed your sentence, probation, and parole.
Idaho voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.