If you are registering for the first time and do not provide a driver's license, state ID, or social security number, you should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes: (1) A current and valid photo identification or (2) A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Illinois, Illinois Department of Public Health
Illinois voter registration deadlines
- In Person: Received 28 days before Election Day (If voters miss this deadline, they may also register during the registration grace period.)
- By Mail: Postmarked 28 days before Election Day.
- Online: Received 16 days before Election Day. (If voters miss this deadline, they may also register during the registration grace period.)
Election Day Registration:
You can also register in person (and vote) at your local elections office during the "grace period." The grace period starts 27 days before Election Day and ends on Election Day. Grace Period Voting does not take place at your regular polling place. Grace Period Voting is typically available at your Local Election Office. Contact your Local Election Office for more information.
Illinois voter registration rules
To register in Illinois you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be a resident of Illinois and of your election precinct at least 30 days before the next election;
- Be at least 18 years old on or before the next election;
- Not be serving a sentence of confinement for a criminal conviction (but you can vote if you have been charged but not convicted, have completed your sentence, or have been released on parole);
- Not claim the right to vote anywhere else.
Illinois voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.