If you are registering for the first time, you may be asked to show a valid form of ID at the polls when you vote. If you do not have the necessary ID, you will still be able to cast a ballot if you sign an an oath verifying your identity.
Iowa voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 10 days before Election Day. If you miss the deadline, you can also register to vote on Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 15 days before Election Day or received 10 days before Election Day.
- Online: 10 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
If you have missed the voter registration deadline, you can still register to vote and a cast a ballot at the same time during early voting or on Election Day. Simply go to your regular polling place or early voting site to register and vote. Contact your Local Election Office if you have any questions.
Iowa voter registration rulesTo register in Iowa you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Iowa
- be at least 17 years old (you must be 18 to vote)
- not have been convicted of a felony (or have had your rights restored)
- not currently be judged by a court to be "incompetent to vote"
- not claim the right to vote in more than one place
Iowa voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.