If you are registering for the first time, you should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. See the section on Voter ID Requirements for a complete list of acceptable forms of ID to bring to the polls.
Kentucky voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 29 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 29 days before Election Day.
- Online: 29 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
Kentucky voter registration rulesTo register in Kentucky you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Kentucky for at least 28 days before to Election Day
- be 18 years of age on or before the next general election
- not be a convicted felon or if you have been convicted of a felony, your civil rights must have been restored by executive pardon
- not have been judged “mentally incompetent” in a court of law
- not claim the right to vote anywhere outside Kentucky
Kentucky voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.