If you registered to vote in Louisiana for the first time, submitted your voter registration application by mail, and you didn’t provide your Louisiana driver’s license or special ID number, or the last 4 digits of your Social Security number when you registered to vote, you will need to bring a photo ID, utility bill, bank statement, or other government document that shows your name and address in order to cast a ballot. (This is in addition to a photo ID containing your signature.)
Louisiana voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 30 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 30 days before Election Day.
- Online: 20 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
Louisiana voter registration rulesTo register in Louisiana you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Louisiana (Residence address must be address where you claim homestead exemption, if any, except for a resident in a nursing home or veteran’s home who may select to use the address of the nursing home or veterans’ home or the home where he has a homestead exemption. A college student may elect to use his home address or his address while away at school.)
- be at least 17 years old (16 years old if registering in person at the Registrar of Voters Office or at the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles), and be 18 years old prior to the next election to vote
- not currently be under an order of imprisonment for conviction of a felony. (If you are under an order but have not been incarcerated within the last five years, you ARE eligible to vote unless your conviction was for election fraud.)
- not currently be under a judgment of interdiction for mental incompetence
Louisiana voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.