If you are registering for the first time, you should plan on showing "proof of identification and residency." Proof of identification includes: (1) Government document or credential with photo ID (i.e. driver’s license, State ID, valid U.S. Passport, military ID), (2) Government ID document/credential without photo (i.e. certified birth certificate or signed Social Security card), (3) An official document that shows name and address of voter (i.e. eligibility for public benefits, utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck), (4) Student photo ID from a state-approved public or private school or institute of higher education in Maine, (5) Verified unique identifier (Maine driver’s license number or last four numbers of Social Security Number).
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Maine, Maine Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS)
Maine voter registration deadlines
- In Person: Received by close of polls Election Day.
- By Mail: Received by close of business 21 days before Election Day.
- Online: N/A
Election Day Registration:
If you register to vote within 21 days of an election, including on Election Day, you must register in person at the municipal registrar. Proof of identity and proof of residence is required. Contact your Local Election Office with any questions.
Maine voter registration rules
To register in Maine you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be a resident of Maine and the municipality in which you want to vote;
- Be 17 years old (you must be at least 18 years of age to vote, except that in primary elections you may vote if you are 17 but will be 18 by the general election).
Maine voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.