If you are registering for the first time, you should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes: (1) A current and valid photo identification or (2) A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address.
Maine voter registration deadlines
- In Person: Election Day.
- By Mail: Received 21 business days before Election Day.
- Online: N/A
Election Day Registration:
If you have missed the voter registration deadline, you can still register to vote at your town office or city hall up until Election Day. Contact your Local Election Office with any questions.
Maine voter registration rulesTo register in Maine you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Maine and the municipality in which you want to vote
- be 17 years old (you must be at least 18 years of age to vote, except that in primary elections you may vote if you are 17 but will be 18 by the general election)
Maine voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.