If you are registering for the first time, you should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes: (1) A current and valid photo identification or (2) A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address.
- COVID-19 Election Updates, Massachusetts Secretary of State
- A recent bill has clarified that voters taking precautions related to COVID-19 are qualified to vote by absentee ballot
- Multiple special elections have been postponed: voters should check the Secretary of State's COVID-19 page for details
- Local elections may be postponed by towns: voters should check with their town clerk for detail.
- Information on the Outbreak of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), Massachusetts Department of Public Health
Massachusetts voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 20 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 20 days before Election Day.
- Online: 20 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
Massachusetts voter registration rulesTo register in Massachusetts you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Massachusetts
- be 18 years old on or before the next election
- not have been convicted of corrupt practices in respect to elections
- not be under guardianship with respect to voting
- not be currently incarcerated for a felony conviction
Massachusetts voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.