If you are registering or changing your registration at the polls, you should plan on showing "proof of residence" when you vote. Proof of residence includes: (1) A current and valid state-issued driver's license or ID or (2) a combination of some other photo ID and a document that shows your current name and address (such as a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or government document).
- Due to COVID19, there is no witness requirement for registered voters for the November 3, 2020 State General Election. Non-registered voters will still need a witness, to indicate their proof of residence.
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), Minnesota Department of Health
Minnesota voter registration deadlines
- In Person: Election Day.
- By Mail: Received 21 days before Election Day.
- Online: 21 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
If you have missed the voter registration deadline, you can still register to vote and a cast a ballot at the same time during the in-person absentee voting period or on Election Day. Simply go to your regular in-person absentee voting site -- or to your regular polling place -- to register and vote. You should bring valid ID and, if the ID does not list your current name and address, also proof of residence. Contact your Local Election Office if you have any questions.
Minnesota voter registration rulesTo register in Minnesota you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Minnesota for 20 days before the next election
- maintain residence at the address given on the registration form
- be at least 18 years old on Election Day
- if previously convicted of a felony, have completed or been discharged from your sentence
- not be under a court‑ordered guardianship in which the right to vote has been revoked
- not be found by a court to be legally incompetent to vote
Minnesota voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.