Last updated on March 14, 2016
Minnesota voter registration deadlines
- In Person: Election Day
- By Mail: Received 21 days before Election Day
- Online: 21 days before Election Day.
Election day registration instructions
If you have missed the voter registration deadline, you can still register to vote and a cast a ballot at the same time during the in-person absentee voting period or on Election Day. Simply go to your regular in-person absentee voting site -- or to your regular polling place -- to register and vote. Contact your Local Election Official if you have any questions.
Minnesota voter registration rules
To register in Minnesota you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Minnesota for 20 days before the next election
- maintain residence at the address given on the registration form
- be at least 18 years old on Election Day
- if previously convicted of a felony, your felony sentence has expired or been completed, or you have been discharged from the sentence
- not be under a court‑ordered guardianship in which the right to vote has been revoked
- not be found by a court to be legally incompetent to vote
Minnesota voter registration directions
- Use our Voter Registration Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.
Helpful voting links