Last updated on March 14, 2016
Montana voter registration deadlines
- In Person: Election Day
- By Mail: Postmarked 30 days before Election Day. If this day is a Sunday, then your form must be postmarked 29 days before Election Day.
- Online: N/A
Election Day Registration:
If you have missed the voter registration deadline, you can still register to vote and a cast a ballot at the same time during early voting or on Election Day. You'll have to register at the office of your Local Election Official -- not at a polling place. Contact your Local Election Official for questions about the process or identification requirements.
Montana voter registration rules
To register in Montana you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be at least 18 years old on or before Election Day
- be a resident of Montana and of the county in which you want to vote for at least 30 days before the next election
- not be in a penal institution for a felony conviction
- not currently be determined by a court to be of unsound mind
- meet these qualifications by the next Election Day if you do not currently meet them
Montana voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.
Helpful voting links