If you are registering for the first time, registered to vote by mail, and didn’t provide an ID number or copy of your ID when you registered, you should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. See the section on Voter ID Requirements for a complete list of acceptable forms of ID to bring to the polls.
- The dates and deadlines listed below are not applicable for the November 2020 general election. All voters who register in New Jersey by October 13, 2020 will automatically receive a mail-in ballot for the November Election.
- New Jersey COVID-19 Information Hub, State of New Jersey
New Jersey voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 21 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 21 days before Election Day.
- Online: 21 days before Election Day
Election Day Registration:
New Jersey voter registration rulesTo register in New Jersey you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be at least 17 years of age; you may register to vote if you are at least 17 years old but cannot vote until reaching the age of 18
- be a resident of NJ and your county and at your address at least 30 days before the next election
- not be serving a sentence or on parole or probation as the result of a conviction of any indictable offense under the laws of this or another state or of the United States
- not be declared mentally incompetent by a court
New Jersey voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.