If you are registering for the first time, registered to vote by mail, and didn’t include a copy of your ID when you registered, you should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. See the section on Voter ID Requirements for a complete list of acceptable forms of ID to bring to the polls.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in New Mexico, New Mexico Department of Health
New Mexico voter registration deadlines
- In Person: Through the Saturday before Election Day at the county clerk's office (or other location the county clerk authorizes). 28 days before Election Day otherwise.
- By Mail: Postmarked 28 days before Election Day. An application may be accepted through the Friday following the deadline if the application is postmarked before the deadline.
- Online: 28 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
New Mexico may offer same-day voter registration in 2022. To register before voting, you will need to bring one of the following:
(1) a New Mexico driver’s license or New Mexico identification card issued through the motor vehicle division of the taxation and revenue department;
(2) any document that contains an address in the county together with a photo identification card; or
(3) a current valid student photo identification card from a post-secondary educational institution in New Mexico accompanied by a current student fee statement that contains the student’s address in the county.
Contact your local election officials for details.
New Mexico voter registration rules
To register in New Mexico you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be a resident of the State of New Mexico;
- Be 18 years of age at the time of the next election;
- Not have been denied the right to vote by a court of law by reason of mental incapacity;
- Not be currently incarcerated or serving parole or supervised probation for a felony conviction (or if you have been convicted of a felony, have completed all the terms and conditions of sentencing, have been granted a pardon by the Governor, or have had your conviction overturned on appeal).
New Mexico voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.