If you are registering for the first time, registered to vote by mail, and didn’t include a copy of your ID when you registered, you should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. See the section on Voter ID Requirements for a complete list of acceptable forms of ID to bring to the polls.
New Mexico voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 28 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 28 days before Election Day.
- Online: 28 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
New Mexico voter registration rulesTo register in New Mexico you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of the State of New Mexico
- be 18 years of age at the time of the next election
- not have been denied the right to vote by a court of law by reason of mental incapacity
- if you have been convicted of a felony, have completed all the terms and conditions of sentencing, have been granted a pardon by the Governor, or have had your conviction overturned on appeal
New Mexico voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.