If you are registering for the first time, registered by mail, and didn’t include your driver’s license or NY state ID number or the last 4 digits of your Social Security number on your registration, you you may be asked to provide ID when you vote. See the section on Voter ID Requirements for a complete list of acceptable forms of ID to bring to the polls.
New York voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 25 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 25 days before Election Day and received no later than 20 days before Election Day.
- Online: 25 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
New York voter registration rulesTo register in New York you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of New York and the county, city, or village for at least 30 days before Election Day
- be 18 years old by December 31 of the year you register (You must be 18 years old by the date of the general, primary, or other election in which you want to vote)
- not be in prison or on parole for a felony conviction (unless parolee pardoned or restored rights of citizenship)
- not currently be judged incompetent by a court
- not claim the right to vote elsewhere
New York voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.