If you are registering for the first time, registered by mail, and didn’t include your driver’s license or NY state ID number or the last 4 digits of your Social Security number on your registration, you may be asked to provide ID when you vote. See the section on Voter ID Requirements for a complete list of acceptable forms of ID to bring to the polls.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in New York, New York State Department of Health
New York voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 25 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 25 days before Election Day. Received 20 days before Election Day.
- Online: 25 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
New York voter registration rules
To register in New York you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be a resident of New York and the county, city, or village where for at least 30 days before Election Day;
- 16- and 17-year-olds may preregister to vote, but cannot vote until they are 18;
- Not be incarcerated for a felony conviction;
- Not currently be judged incompetent by a court;
- Not claim the right to vote elsewhere.
New York voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.