<p>If you are a DMV customer with a NC driver’s license or DMV-issued ID, you may now register to vote or change certain parts of your registration online.<br>Using this service existing DMV customers may register to vote, update their voter registration address, or update their party affiliation. They may not change their name. There is no fee for voter registration services, which are powered by PayIt. Voter registration applications submitted fewer than 25 days before an election will not be processed until after the election. You may still register to vote in person using same-day registration in your county during the early voting period.</p><p>If you are registering for the first time, you should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes: (1) A current and valid photo identification or (2) A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address.</p>
North Carolina voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 25 days before Election Day. If you miss the voter registration deadline, you can still register in person during early voting until 3 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 25 days before Election Day and received 20 days before Election Day.
- Online: 25 days before Election Day
Election Day Registration:
North Carolina voter registration rulesTo register in North Carolina you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of North Carolina and the precinct in which you live for at least 30 days prior to Election Day
- be 18 years of age by the day of the next general election
- have your rights of citizenship restored if you have been convicted of a felony
- not be registered or vote in any other county or state
North Carolina voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.