If you are registering for the first time, you should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes: (1) A current and valid photo identification or (2) A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address.
North Carolina voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 25 days before Election Day. If you miss the voter registration deadline, you can still register in person during early voting until 3 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 25 days before Election Day and received 20 days before Election Day.
- Online: N/A
Election Day Registration:
North Carolina voter registration rulesTo register in North Carolina you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of North Carolina and the precinct in which you live for at least 30 days prior to Election Day
- be 18 years of age by the day of the next general election
- have your rights of citizenship restored if you have been convicted of a felony
- not be registered or vote in any other county or state
North Carolina voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.