Last updated on August 2, 2016
North Carolina voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 25 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 25 days before Election Day.
- Online: N/A
Election Day Registration:
North Carolina voter registration rules
To register in North Carolina you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of North Carolina and the county in which you live for at least 30 days prior to Election Day
- be 18 years of age by the day of the next general election
- have your rights of citizenship restored if you have been convicted of a felony
- not be registered or vote in any other county or state
North Carolina voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.
Helpful voting links