If you are registering for the first time, you should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes: (1) A current and valid photo identification or (2) A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address.
- Corona Facts - Protecting & Preparing Ohio Communities for Election Day, Ohio Secretary of State
Ohio voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 30 days before Election Day, extended to the next business day if this falls on a Sunday.
- By Mail: Postmarked 30 days before Election Day, extended to the next business day if this falls on a Sunday.
- Online: 30 days before Election Day
Election Day Registration:
Ohio voter registration rulesIn order to register to vote in Ohio, you must meet these requirements:
- be a citizen of the United States.
- be at least 18 years old on or before the next general election
- be a resident of Ohio for at least 30 days immediately before the election in which you want to vote
- not be currently incarcerated (in jail or prison) for a felony conviction. If you are an ex-felon and not currently incarcerated, you are eligible to vote in Ohio but you MUST re-register.
- not have been declared incompetent for voting purposes by a probate court
- not have been permanently denied the right to vote for violations of election laws.
Ohio voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.