You should plan on showing "proof of identification" when you vote. See the section on Voter ID Requirements for a complete list of acceptable forms of ID to bring to the polls.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Rhode Island, Rhode Island Department of Health
Rhode Island voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 30 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 30 days before Election Day.
- Online: 30 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
You may register in person on Election Day at your local Board of Canvassers but only for Presidential elections.
Rhode Island voter registration rules
To register in Rhode Island you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be a resident of Rhode Island for 30 days preceding the next election;
- 16- and 17-year-olds may preregister to vote, but cannot vote until they are 18;
- Not be currently incarcerated in a correctional facility due to a felony conviction;
- Not have been lawfully judged to be mentally incompetent.
Rhode Island voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.