You should plan on showing "proof of identification" when you vote. See the section on Voter ID Requirements for a complete list of acceptable forms of ID to bring to the polls.
Rhode Island voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 30 days before Election Day. You may also register in person on Election Day but only for Presidential elections.
- By Mail: Received 30 days before Election Day.
- Online: 30 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
You may register in person on Election Day at your local Board of Canvassers but only for Presidential elections.
Rhode Island voter registration rulesTo register in Rhode Island you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Rhode Island for 30 days preceding the next election
- be 18 years old by Election Day
- not be currently incarcerated in a correctional facility due to a felony conviction
- not have been lawfully judged to be mentally incompetent
Rhode Island voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.