You should plan on showing valid photo ID the first time you vote in person. See the section on Voter ID for a list of IDs that qualify. You can cast a vote without a photo ID if you sign an affidvait saying that you are indigent and cannot afford an ID or if you have a religious objection to being photographed.
- Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19), Tennessee Department of Health
- If a registered Tennessee voter has underlying medical or health conditions which in their determination render them more susceptible to contracting COVID-19 or at greater risk should they contract it, the voter can apply for an absentee ballot by mail and vote by mail.
Tennessee voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 30 days before Election Day. If this falls on a Sunday, 29 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 30 days before Election Day, the deadline is extended to the next business day if this falls on a Sunday.
- Online: 30 days before Election Day
Election Day Registration:
Tennessee voter registration rulesTo register in Tennessee you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Tennessee
- be at least 18 years old on or before the next election
- not have been convicted of a felony, or if convicted, have had your full rights of citizenship restored (or have received a pardon)
- not be adjudicated incompetent by a court of competent jurisdiction (or have been restored to legal capacity
Tennessee voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.