You should plan on showing photo ID when you vote. See the section on Voter ID Requirements for a complete list of acceptable forms of ID to bring with you to the polls.
- Early voting for the general election has been extended. It will begin on Oct. 13 and run through Oct. 30.
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), Texas Department of State Health Services
Texas voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 30 days before Election Day. If this falls on a Sunday, 29 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 30 days before Election Day, the deadline is extended to the next business day if this falls on a Sunday.
- Online: N/A
Election Day Registration:
Texas voter registration rulesTo register in Texas you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of the county in which the application for registration is made
- be at least 17 years and 10 months old (you must be 18 to vote)
- not be convicted of a felony, or if a convicted felon,
- you must have fully discharged your punishment, including any incarceration, parole, supervision, period of probation, or be pardoned
- have not been declared mentally incompetent by final judgment of a court of law
Texas voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.