If you are registering for the first time and did not provide ID when you registered, you should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. Proof of identification includes: (1) A current and valid photo identification or (2) A current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck or government document that shows your name and address.
- All registered voters in Vermont will receive a mail-in ballot for the November Election.
- 2019 Novel Coronavirus, Vermont Department of Health
Vermont voter registration deadlines
- In Person: Election Day (you must show proof of residence to register at the polls on Election Day).
- By Mail: Received Election Day.
- Online: Election Day. But if you register online the day before or on Election Day, your application may not be processed and your name may not appear on the checklist and you may be asked to fill out another application at the polls. To be sure your name appears on the checklist, please register by the Friday before the election.
Election Day Registration:
You can register to vote on Election Day at your polling place. You must show proof of residence to register at the polls on Election Day.
Vermont voter registration rulesTo register in Vermont you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be a resident of Vermont
- be 18 years of age on or before Election Day (17 year olds who will be 18 years of age on or before the date of a general election may register and vote in the primary election immediately preceding that general election)
- have taken the following Oath: You solemnly swear (or affirm) that whenever you give your vote or suffrage, touching any matter that concerns the state of Vermont, you will do it so as in your conscience you shall judge will most conduce to the best good of the same, as established by the Constitution, without fear or favor of any person [Voter’s Oath, Vermont Constitution, Chapter II, Section 42]
Vermont voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.