Last updated on January 31, 2020
Plan on bringing photo ID with you to the polls if you are voting in person. See the section on Voter ID Requirements for a complete list of acceptable forms of ID to bring to the polls.
Virginia voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 22 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 22 days before Election Day.
- Online: 22 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
Virginia voter registration rulesTo register in Virginia you must:
- be a citizen of the United States;
- be a resident of Virginia and of the precinct in which you want to vote;
- be 18 years old by the next general election;
- not have been convicted of a felony, or have had your civil rights restored; and
- not currently be declared incapacitated by a court.
Virginia voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.