Plan on bringing photo ID with you to the polls if you are voting in person. See the section on Voter ID Requirements for a complete list of acceptable forms of ID to bring to the polls.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Virginia, Virginia Department of Health
Virginia voter registration deadlines
- In Person: Received by close of business 22 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 22 days before Election Day.
- Online: Received by 11:59 PM 22 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
Virginia voter registration rules
To register in Virginia you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be a resident of Virginia and of the precinct in which you want to vote;
- Be 18 years old by the next general election (a person who is 17 years old may register to vote in advance of their 18th birthday and can vote in intervening primary or special elections if the person will turn 18 by the date of the next general election);
- Not have a felony conviction, unless the person has had their civil rights restored; and
- Not currently be declared incapacitated by a court.
Virginia voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.