Plan on bringing photo ID with you to the polls if you are voting in person. See the section on Voter ID Requirements for a complete list of acceptable forms of ID to bring to the polls.
- The Primary Election previously scheduled for June 9 has been postponed until June 23 in an announcement by the Governor
- The Virginia Department of Elections has clarified on their absentee voting page that concerns around COVID-19 count as a reason to request an absentee ballot for the May and June elections
- Voters should cite reason "2A - My disability or illness"
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), Virginia Department of Health
Virginia voter registration deadlines
- In Person: For the 2020 general election, received by 5pm 19 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: For the 2020 general election, postmarked 19 days before Election Day.
- Online: For the 2020 general election, received by 11:59 PM 19 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
Virginia voter registration rulesTo register in Virginia you must:
- be a citizen of the United States;
- be a resident of Virginia and of the precinct in which you want to vote;
- be 18 years old by the next general election (a person who is 17 years old may register to vote in advance of his or her 18th birthday and can vote in intervening primary or special elections if the person will turn 18 by the date of the next general election);
- not have been convicted of a felony, unless you have had your civil rights restored; and
- not currently be declared incapacitated by a court.
Virginia voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.