Last updated on January 31, 2020
You should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. See the voter ID section for acceptable forms of ID to bring to the polls or submit with your absentee ballot.
West Virginia voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 21 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 21 days before Election Day.
- Online: 21 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
West Virginia voter registration rulesTo register in West Virginia you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- live in West Virginia in the county in which you are registering
- be 18 years old, or to vote in the primary be 17 years old and turning 18 before the general election
- not be under conviction, probation, or parole for a felony, treason, or election bribery
- not have been judged “mentally incompetent” in a court of competent jurisdiction
West Virginia voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.