You should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. See the voter ID section for acceptable forms of ID to bring to the polls or submit with your absentee ballot.
- The Primary Election originally scheduled for May 12 has been postponed to June 9 by an executive order of the Governor.
- All voters who do not wish to vote in person due to the COVID-19 pandemic are eligible to vote by mail following an announcement from the Secretary of State.
- Absentee ballots must be postmarked by June 9 but should be sent as early as possible.
- Early in-person voting and in-person voting on Election Day will still take place.
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), West Virginia Department of Health and Human Services
West Virginia voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 21 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 21 days before Election Day.
- Online: 21 days before Election Day
Election Day Registration:
West Virginia voter registration rulesTo register in West Virginia you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- live in West Virginia in the county in which you are registering
- be at least 17 years old and turning 18 before the next general election
- not be under conviction, probation, or parole for a felony, treason, or election bribery
- not have been judged “mentally incompetent” in a court of competent jurisdiction
West Virginia voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.