You should plan on showing "proof of identification" the first time you vote. See the voter ID section for acceptable forms of ID to bring to the polls or submit with your absentee ballot.
- All West Virginia voters will be able to cite concerns related to the COVID-19 pandemic as reason to request an absentee ballot for the November general election, according to Secretary of State Mac Warner.
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19), West Virginia Department of Health and Human Services
West Virginia voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 21 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: Postmarked 21 days before Election Day.
- Online: 21 days before Election Day
Election Day Registration:
West Virginia voter registration rulesTo register in West Virginia you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- live in West Virginia in the county in which you are registering
- be at least 17 years old and turning 18 before the next general election
- not be under conviction, probation, or parole for a felony, treason, or election bribery
- not have been judged “mentally incompetent” in a court of competent jurisdiction
West Virginia voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.