If you are registering for the first time and registered to vote by mail or through a voter registration drive, you may be required to show your Michigan ID, utility bill, or government document that shows your name and current address. However, if you provided a MI driver's license number or state ID number on the application, then no additional documentation will be required.
Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in Michigan, Michigan Department of Health and Human Services
Michigan voter registration deadlines
- In Person: Any time up to 8:00 p.m. on Election Day at your city or township clerk office. The voter registration deadline is 15 days before Election Day, if you submit an application form through a voter registration drive or deliver it to a county clerk or secretary of state office.
- By Mail: Postmarked 15 days before Election Day.
- Online: 15 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
If you have missed the voter registration deadline, you can still register to vote and cast a ballot at the same time during early voting or on Election Day at your city or township clerk's office (not at your polling location). If you plan to register in person within 14 days of Election Day, you will need to present proof of residency. To register under these rules, Contact your Local Election Office with any questions.
Michigan voter registration rules
To register in Michigan you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be 17.5 at the time of registration and 18 years old by the next election;
- Be a resident of Michigan and at least a 30 day resident of your city or township by Election Day;
- Not be confined in a jail after being convicted and sentenced.
Warning: Michigan law requires that the same address be used for voter registration and driver license purposes. Therefore, if the residence address you provide on the form differs from the address shown on a driver license or personal identification card issued by the State of Michigan, the Secretary of State will automatically change your driver license or personal identification card address to match the residence address entered on this form. If an address change is made, the Secretary of State will mail you an address update sticker for your driver license or personal identification card.
Michigan voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.