If you are registering for the first time and registered to vote by mail, you may be required to show your Michigan ID, utility bill, or government document that shows your name and current address.
Michigan voter registration deadlines
- In Person: Election Day. If you plan to register in person within 14 days of Election Day, you will need to present proof of residency (a document with your name and current address in the city or township where you wish to register to vote).
- By Mail: Postmarked 14 days before Election Day.
- Online: 14 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
If you have missed the voter registration deadline, you can still register to vote and a cast a ballot at the same time during early voting or on Election Day. To register under these rules, Contact your Local Election Office with any questions.
Michigan voter registration rulesTo register in Michigan you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be 18 years old by the next election
- be a resident of Michigan and at least a 30 day resident of your city or township by Election Day
- not be confined in a jail after being convicted and sentenced
Michigan voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.