Last updated on March 14, 2016
Michigan voter registration deadlines
- In Person: 21 days before Election Day.
- By Mail: 30 days before Election Day.
- Online: N/A
Election day registration instructions
Michigan voter registration rules
To register in Michigan you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be 18 years old by the next election
- be a resident of Michigan and at least a 30 day resident of your city or township by Election Day
- not be confined in a jail after being convicted and sentenced
Warning: Michigan law requires that the same address be used for voter registration and driver license purposes. Therefore, if the residence address you provide on this form differs from the address shown on a driver license or personal identification card issued by the State of Michigan, the Secretary of State will automatically change your driver license or personal identification card address to match the residence address entered on this form. If an address change is made, the Secretary of State will mail you an address update sticker for your driver license or personal identification card.
Michigan voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.
Helpful voting links