Michigan voter registration deadlines
- In Person: Any time up to 8:00 p.m. on Election Day at your city or township clerk office. The voter registration deadline is 15 days before Election Day, if you submit an application form through a voter registration drive or deliver it to a county clerk or secretary of state office.
- By Mail: Postmarked 15 days before Election Day.
- Online: 15 days before Election Day.
Election Day Registration:
If you have missed the voter registration deadline, you can still register to vote and a cast a ballot at the same time during early voting or on Election Day. If you plan to register in person within 14 days of Election Day, you will need to present proof of residency. To register under these rules, Contact your Local Election Office with any questions.
Michigan voter registration rulesTo register in Michigan you must:
- be a citizen of the United States
- be 18 years old by the next election
- be a resident of Michigan and at least a 30 day resident of your city or township by Election Day
- not be confined in a jail after being convicted and sentenced
Michigan voter registration directions
- Use our Register to Vote Tool to fill out the National Voter Registration Form.
- Sign and date your form. This is very important!
- Mail or hand-deliver your completed form to the address we provide.
- Make sure you register before the voter registration deadline.